The Office of the State’s Attorney prosecutes crimes that are committed within Wicomico County. The State’s Attorney is an elected official who appoints the remaining State’s Attorneys and support staff.

In order for a defendant to be held accountable for their conduct, the State must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, every element of the offense. Most of the evidence presented in court is witness testimony. Generally speaking, written statements or affidavits are not admissible in criminal proceedings.

Oftentimes, the State will not know whether witnesses will be needed until the day of the hearing. If you are not needed for court, we will make every effort to contact you in advance. If you have questions, or are unable to attend, please contact our office at 410-548-4880.

The State’s Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal advice.

However, defendants are entitled to representation of their choosing, whether it’s private counsel or through application to the Office of the Public Defender. To apply for representation through the Office of the Public Defender, defendants must apply with the District Court Commissioner at 411 Naylor Mill Rd., Salisbury, MD. The Commissioner will determine eligibility.

For more details, please see the Maryland Public Defender’s Website..

One of our Victim-Witness Coordinators will be able to help and inform you of the status of your case.

Absolutely, one of our Victim-Witness Coordinators will be able to help. For court hearings, we need thirty days notice to request an interrupter.

Yes. To see details about criminal and civil cases, you can access the Maryland Judiciary Case Search.

We do not recommend that you bring children to your hearing unless they are a subpoenaed witness in the case. If you have to bring your child to court, we recommend that they remain outside of the courtroom with a responsible adult and that they have a few items to occupy their time, as their hearing may take some time.

Peace and Protective Orders are civil order issued by a judge to prevent one person from making contact or committing certain acts against others. The difference between a Peace Order and Protective Order depends on what the relationship is between the person seeking the order and the respondent.  Protective Orders apply to domestic relationships, whereas Peace Orders apply to other types of relationships (strangers, coworkers, neighbors, etc.).

If you are the victim of a crime and do not wish to pursue the charges, you will need to appear in person to the Office of the State’s Attorney with identification, including contact information, and a written statement making the request. Your request does not mean that charges will be dismissed or that you are excused from appearing in court. Rather, your request will be considered along with all other relevant information in determining how best to proceed.

The District Court is located at 201 Baptist Street, Salisbury, Maryland. There is a free parking lot immediately outside of the District Court Building.

The Circuit Court is located at 101 North Division Street, Salisbury, Maryland. There is parking available in the parking garage located at 100 Circle Avenue, Salisbury, MD. The parking garage rate is $1.00 per hour. There is also metered street parking on the streets around the courthouse.

If you are a victim of a crime, you should first report the crime to a law enforcement agency in your jurisdiction. Based upon your report and their investigation, the law enforcement agency may file charges.

If the law enforcement agency does not file charges, you may file your own Application for Statement of Charges with the District Court Commissioner located at 411B W Naylor Mill Road, Salisbury, Maryland 21801. You will be required to write a detailed statement of the facts to the Commissioner, and list any evidence that you have that supports your statement in a Statement of Probable Cause. The Commissioner will review the Statement of Probable Cause to determine if there is probable cause to issue the charges.

Forms and Instructions from the Court.

How to File a Criminal Complaint in the District Four of Maryland – Click here for the PDF file..